Notice for Review Requests

I receive review requests weekly. However, my personal schedule is hectic and I no longer review actively. (I also manage another blog called The Toronto Cafe and Food Blog). I do read every request sent but I apologize in advance that I do not reply to them all.

If I do take on a request, I will forewarn that it may take some time before I can review it. I am now looking to review adult fiction and self-help books instead of young adult fiction because I have grown out of it. If you are to request a review for either adult fiction or self-help, I will more likely to give it a shot.

In the meantime, Stop, Drop, and Read! serves as an archive book review blog. When I have the time, I may post a review. Thank you for understanding.

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

If You Feel Too Much by Jamie Tworkowski

Title: If You Feel Too Much
Author: Jamie Tworkowski
Type: Self-Help/Memoir
# of Pages: 192
My Rating: 3/5
Review Copy?: Yes

Jamie Tworkowski is the founder of the non-profit, To Write Love on Her Arms (TWLOHA), which is known for suicide prevention and supporting the vulnerable worldwide. His debut novel, If You Feel Too Much, will officially be released on May 26th, 2015.

If You Feel Too Much is a compilation of Tworkowski's blog entries and thoughts on different subjects. Some chapters are autobiographical, while other chapters include his own poems and blog posts. This work is more of a personal journal rather than a novel. 

I was happy that this was a quick read. With less than 200 pages, you can go through this book in no time. When I originally agreed to review this novel, I was looking forward to learning about how Tworkowski started his organization and his organization's journey. Unfortunately, this book did not exactly cover that. He briefly mentioned the person who inspired him to start TWLOHA, but it wasn't as in-depth as I thought it would be. If you have ever written in a journal or a personal blog, there tend to be gaps between the entries and not everything entirely makes sense unless you are the writer. That's how I felt when I was reading If You Feel Too Much. It was haphazard and did not fully appeal to me. I know that this isn't a story but I was hoping there would have been more cohesiveness throughout the novel. I like that it is truthful and that the author reminds you that he isn't a professional writer. This book is simply the author's way of sharing his thoughts and feelings with the world.

I think this book is perfect for people who are advocates of TWLOHA. It's also good for people who like this informal type of memoir. It's a short read so it's not something you would have to spend a lot of energy on. 

Check out the pre-order campaign here: http://twloha.com/ifyoufeeltoomuch/
Check out Jamie Tworkowski's tour dates here: http://twloha.com/events/#tour

post signature

No comments: