Notice for Review Requests

I receive review requests weekly. However, my personal schedule is hectic and I no longer review actively. (I also manage another blog called The Toronto Cafe and Food Blog). I do read every request sent but I apologize in advance that I do not reply to them all.

If I do take on a request, I will forewarn that it may take some time before I can review it. I am now looking to review adult fiction and self-help books instead of young adult fiction because I have grown out of it. If you are to request a review for either adult fiction or self-help, I will more likely to give it a shot.

In the meantime, Stop, Drop, and Read! serves as an archive book review blog. When I have the time, I may post a review. Thank you for understanding.

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Every Little Thing in the World by Nina de Gramont

Title: Every Little Thing in the World
Author: Nina de Gramont
Age Group: Teens
# of Pages: 282
My Rating: 5/5

Sydney has a problem. She's pregnant.

Being pregnant at sixteen years is definitely not ideal, but what can Sydney do? She knows she will not marry the baby's father because that is unrealistic and it will not work out. Keeping it quiet from her parents, she is unsure what to do in this situation. Her father sends her up north to Canada so she can join a canoeing camp that will help her learn something new and be away from the technological world today.

Surrounded by Canadian wilderness, Sydney interacts with new people and learn new things from the practical to the personal.

Every Little Thing in the World is now one of my favourite releases of 2010! It gave me a break from the usual novels that go around the cliche plots and added a flavourful variety into the YA section of the bookstore.

Sydney is a commonsensical girl who does not delude herself in any way and does not mope over the fact that she is pregnant. Instead of being depressed, she takes the opportunity of the camp to enjoy her life differently. I love how the author have such indivualistic characters surrounding Sydney. Flaws are pointed out as well as the greater aspects for each character. The interaction between Sydney and everyone else is fantastic, like a well-balanced meal that is nutritious and delicious at the same time. She is able to learn more about herself and her best friend, Natalia, with the time they are in Canada. Readers will see a strong character development and will enjoy the fact that the novel is very relatable in many aspects.

After reading this novel, I urge to go on a canoe camp too. It sounds exhausting but fun at the same time! I am a little disappointed to see the lack of reviews for this novel because it definitely deserves more exposure! Creative, realistic, and rapturing, Every Little Thing in the World is a must-read!

Review copy provided by
Simon and Schuster Canada.

post signature

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sydney sounds like a great well-developed character, she sounds so real and mature. A very easy to like heroine. :D Wonderful review, it sounds like a great read.