Notice for Review Requests

I receive review requests weekly. However, my personal schedule is hectic and I no longer review actively. (I also manage another blog called The Toronto Cafe and Food Blog). I do read every request sent but I apologize in advance that I do not reply to them all.

If I do take on a request, I will forewarn that it may take some time before I can review it. I am now looking to review adult fiction and self-help books instead of young adult fiction because I have grown out of it. If you are to request a review for either adult fiction or self-help, I will more likely to give it a shot.

In the meantime, Stop, Drop, and Read! serves as an archive book review blog. When I have the time, I may post a review. Thank you for understanding.

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Night Head Genesis by George Iida & You Higuri

Title: Night Head Genesis
Mangaka: George Iida (Story) & You Higuri (Art)
Age Group: Older Teens
Series is: Completed with 3 volumes
Volume(s) Reviewing: 1
My Rating: 3/5

Naoto and Naoya are brothers who can only depend on each other. Both with psychic abilities, they were abandoned by their parents and were tested on at a research facility. They broke free and escaped their twisted lives, living on their own for many years.

However, when Naoya sees the possible ending of the world, everything becomes much more dangerous for the brothers. Who do they trust? What should they believe? And will the world really come to an end? If so, why?

Night Head Genesis was created over a decade ago and was first adapted as a live drama before becoming an anime and manga series. You Higuri generally does the art for most stories in the mangas she has published so far. Except with her well-known yaoi style, in the manga, the brothers seemed more like lovers than siblings. You have Naoto who is short-tempered with the ability to cause havoc around him while Naoya is soft-spoken and can see into the future (they are like seme and uke respectively). I think that the mangaka is so used to drawing males that her female characters don't exactly appear as womanly. Nonetheless, Higuri's art style is concise and detailed nicely with lovely drawn leads.

I am not keen with how the manga is set up in terms of plot. It seems like everything will be revealed in the later volumes. Except it is missing that something that makes it desirable for the reader to continue. I don't like how some situations that cause confusions are left to be dealt with later. Night Head Genesis lacks the ability to be able to leave the loose threads because I was more disappointed rather than curious to go to the next volume. However, I do find that the basis of the plot is interesting. I am sure that the original story is much better than the adapted manga version. A lot of things can definitely build up within the storyline, but will it execute well in the manga is the question.

Night Head Genesis is not a bad read. I guess You Higuri's fans can check it out and see for themselves. It's not one I recommend for a manga reader to buy, but borrow it if curious and maybe you will like it more than I did.

Review copy provided by
Del Rey.

post signature

1 comment:

Paranormal and Romantic Suspense Reviews said...

Great review and I've been wanting to read this one!

Did you know there is an anime version of this?