Notice for Review Requests

I receive review requests weekly. However, my personal schedule is hectic and I no longer review actively. (I also manage another blog called The Toronto Cafe and Food Blog). I do read every request sent but I apologize in advance that I do not reply to them all.

If I do take on a request, I will forewarn that it may take some time before I can review it. I am now looking to review adult fiction and self-help books instead of young adult fiction because I have grown out of it. If you are to request a review for either adult fiction or self-help, I will more likely to give it a shot.

In the meantime, Stop, Drop, and Read! serves as an archive book review blog. When I have the time, I may post a review. Thank you for understanding.

Saturday, February 6, 2010

Crashed by Robin Wasserman

Title: Crashed
Author: Robin Wasserman
Age Group: Teens
# of Pages: 440
My Rating: 4.5/5

Lia Kahn has finally accepted her identity as a mech. She now lives with others who are just like her, trying to forget about her human past. Her time with Auden is now a fleeting memory and what had happen between them is something she does not want to remember.

Trouble starts to arise when a group of humans want to get rid of mechs' rights, thinking that mechs should not even exist. Jude, who acts like the leader (although Lia does not regard him so), wants to rebel against the orgs. Lia does not want to be a part of any retaliation nor cause trouble. However, the turn out of events does not allow her to have her peace. Lia is caught in a fight between machines and humans with an ending unknown. Which path will she take?

Instead of focusing on just the protagonist, Crashed expands out to the environment Lia is in. From the way humans deal with the existence of mechs to the mechs' reactions, a lot of political, ethical, and moral issues are brought up. The author has thought out the basis of the human mind quite well throughout the novel, making the reader curious on which side s/he would be on if the situation is real.

In Crashed, you get to learn more about the other characters Lia is with. [SPOILERS] When her relationship with Riley, another mech, developed, I was not all too surprise because the plot was leading to it. I felt sympathy towards the two because love between mechs can be a confusing concept. However, I strongly support it if she ends up with Jude later on. I would really like to see what would happen between the two if they have feelings for each other. [END SPOILERS]

I definitely think Lia grew since Skinned and I look forward to what will happen to her and everyone else later on. Especially since Auden returns, things get more difficult for her. The concept of this series is so interesting because what if the world will become this far in the future when technology advances?

For fans of Skinned, you will not be disappointed with its sequel. I recommend this series 100% for anyone who is looking for a dystopian read. I am totally looking forward to the last novel of the Skinned Trilogy!

Review copy provided by Simon & Schuster.

post signature

5 comments:

Liviania said...

I very much want to read this series.

Diana Dang said...

You definitely should :))

Allison said...

I didn't read the spoilers since I haven't even read the first book yet. It's pretty sad what happened to Lia and kind of selfish of the parents, even thought they probably didn't know the outcome of their decision. The things parents do for their kids... Hahaha :)

Also, SNSD performed another song if didn't know already. Finally something to show off their vocals! Watch it here if you haven't already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oomJrNPa7E

And yes, I'm trying to convince you into being a fan. Did it work? Muahahaha... I think 2NE1 is making a comeback this month or in March. I can't wait either!

Diana Dang said...

Yea, I found it pretty disappointing that Lia's family decided to cast her out. But life, right? ><

Lol! I am already a fan! Well, not a complete fan fan but I generally like the songs they come out with. I envy their legs. >3>;

Can't wait for 2ne1! o>0<o And hopefully Big Bang too! I need more happy Kpop songs!

Carrie at In the Hammock Blog said...

Great review! What a cover!!