Notice for Review Requests

I receive review requests weekly. However, my personal schedule is hectic and I no longer review actively. (I also manage another blog called The Toronto Cafe and Food Blog). I do read every request sent but I apologize in advance that I do not reply to them all.

If I do take on a request, I will forewarn that it may take some time before I can review it. I am now looking to review adult fiction and self-help books instead of young adult fiction because I have grown out of it. If you are to request a review for either adult fiction or self-help, I will more likely to give it a shot.

In the meantime, Stop, Drop, and Read! serves as an archive book review blog. When I have the time, I may post a review. Thank you for understanding.

Monday, July 13, 2009

Socrates in Love by Kyoichi Katayama and Kazumi Kazui

Title: Socrates in Love
Mangaka: Kyoichi Katayama (Story) & Kazumi Kazui (Art)
Age Group: Teens
Series is: Completed with 1 volume
Volume(s) Reviewing: 1
My Rating: 3/5

Sakutaro (Saku) met Aki in elementary school. They became close friends. When they reached high school, Saku confessed his feelings to her. From there, they are a happy couple.

But ill-fated, Aki has leukemia. Time is running out and the days Saku gets to spend with her grow shorter.

This is a sweet and sad tale of inseparable love between two young people that has caused a sensation throughout Japan. Now it has been adapted into a manga and translated for English readers to enjoy.

In this single volume series, it opens up to Saku mourning after Aki's death. The reader is then revealed to how the characters first met. From there, it time skip to their happier moments after Saku's confession. Once Aki is diagnosed with leukemia, you watch as how both characters cope with this situation.

Personally, I am not into contemporary realistic manga. It is much too slow for my liking and I would prefer to read the novel version of Socrates in Love instead. I always favour a manga that is more fun. But I think this is a great manga to introduce to a YA fiction reader who is still new to Japanese graphic novels.

Even though I am not a fan of it, I think it is a very beloved manga. It will definitely appeal to anyone who likes stories about loss and devotion.

post signature

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the review! This sounds like something I'd enjoy. I'm adding this to my wishlist.

Diana Dang said...

I hope you enjoy it more than I did! :)

wdebo said...

I'm not the biggest fan of Comtemporary mangas either, but the storyline sounds interesting, I really want to check it out!

Wdebo :)

Diana Dang said...

If you do check it out, I hope you like it!