Notice for Review Requests

I receive review requests weekly. However, my personal schedule is hectic and I no longer review actively. (I also manage another blog called The Toronto Cafe and Food Blog). I do read every request sent but I apologize in advance that I do not reply to them all.

If I do take on a request, I will forewarn that it may take some time before I can review it. I am now looking to review adult fiction and self-help books instead of young adult fiction because I have grown out of it. If you are to request a review for either adult fiction or self-help, I will more likely to give it a shot.

In the meantime, Stop, Drop, and Read! serves as an archive book review blog. When I have the time, I may post a review. Thank you for understanding.

Saturday, July 25, 2009

Razor Girl by Marianne Mancusi

Title: Razor Girl
Author: Marianne Mancusi
Age Group: Adults
# of Pages: 308
My Rating: 3.5/5

Six years after the horrible and unknown disease that had violently spread across the nation, Molly Anderson can finally see what is left of the world she once knew. Trapped under her family's fallout shelter with her mother for so long, Molly now sees that she is practically one of the few humans left around. Everyone that unfortunately received the virus either died tragically or transformed into a zombie. Here she is, alive, with razor-sharp nails and built-in lenses that her father had put on her for survival.

Within a couple of hours after she is finally back above grounds, she runs into an old friend named Chase. He used to be obsessed with her for as long as she could remember. Geeky, too. But after years of intense running from the undead, Chase has grown to be a handsome young man. But instead of a warm welcome hug back, Chase is not so happy to see Molly again. After all, she betrayed him and left his heart to break.

But Molly must not hang onto the past. She must reunite with her father as she promised. Her destination? Disney World.

In the post-Apocalyptic future, this is a novel that many zombies fans will enjoy. With action, adventure, hot romance and the walking corpses, which zombie-addict will not like that?

I didn't mind Molly so much but I wasn't so fond with the younger version of Chase. Throughout the novel, the chapters would flip back from the past to the present to reveal bits and parts about the characters and what they did before and after the breakout. Like said earlier, Chase had a huge crush on Molly when they were younger. I saw him a little desperate during his teen years. Molly at the time was one of the "popular" kids, more or so. She thought he was annoying and yeah, he sort of was. But I was glad that after Molly disappeared on him, he learnt a thing or two. Molly's father on the other hand was a wacko. If you read the novel, you'll see how much of a loose screw he is.

Although Razor Girl is a cool zombie book, it does not provide anything new for zombie readers. I enjoyed Mancusi's fluid writing and her imagination of three decades from now. (It will be cool if any of the things that exist in the story come true! With technology these days, who knows what we will have next year!)

My favourite part of the story was when Molly and Chase got to Disney World. Since I've been there myself once a few years back, this had an impact on me. It was creepy to think that one of the most popular and crowded theme parks becomes nothing with bare bones. And there was a scene that took place in the It's a Small World ride. But instead of happy dolls from all over the globe singing and dancing, they were unplugged for so many years. This image was stuck in my head the longest time and it scared me. Yeah, not the fact that zombies (or "The Others", Chase called them) were roaming around; but, the emptiness of the world which was once filled with people and culture. If you have went to Disney World (and go through this irritating ride) and read the novel afterwards, you would understand what I am talking about.

Won copy from Secret Fates.

post signature

6 comments:

Cecelia said...

Great review! You should use this post (and any others you have that mention zombies) to enter this contest.

There's a September Zombie week coming up, too, so check out http://septemberzombies.blogspot.com.

Diana Dang said...

Thanks for reminding me!

Ooh, and I sure will!

Thao said...

I've never heard of this book before. The title sounds really good and I like the cover too. So sad the story doesn't seem very enticing.

Diana Dang said...

It does keep you want to read on but the reason why I gave it a low rating because it didn't offer anything new.

vvb32 reads said...

an empty and abandoned disney world sounds so eerie. what interests me about this book though is that it is still possible to have a hot romance amongst the zombie ambiance.

Diana Dang said...

Haha, yea there is some hot romance actually. xD But is not focused on.