Notice for Review Requests

I receive review requests weekly. However, my personal schedule is hectic and I no longer review actively. (I also manage another blog called The Toronto Cafe and Food Blog). I do read every request sent but I apologize in advance that I do not reply to them all.

If I do take on a request, I will forewarn that it may take some time before I can review it. I am now looking to review adult fiction and self-help books instead of young adult fiction because I have grown out of it. If you are to request a review for either adult fiction or self-help, I will more likely to give it a shot.

In the meantime, Stop, Drop, and Read! serves as an archive book review blog. When I have the time, I may post a review. Thank you for understanding.

Monday, October 6, 2008

Eyeshield 21 by Riichiro Ingaki & Yusuke Murata

Title: Eyeshield 21
Mangaka: Riichiro Inagaki (Story) & Yusuke Murata (Art)
Age Group: Older Teens
# of Pages: Approx. 200
# of Volumes: 31
My Rating: 3/5

Sena Kobayakawa will do anything not to be beat up. Let's face, he is scrawny and a pushover. Who wouldn't pick on him? Well, every single bully can't resist! So little Sena will be anyone's gopher so he could be able to live the next day. And over time, he was able to become a very quick kid after running away from bullies 24/7.

When he enters high school, he wasn't planning on joining any clubs. That is, until after he was chased into the football team's cabin. The crazy captain had his eyes on Sena from the start, who just thought he could be the manager. But with little players, Sena might have to use his legs to boost up the team's game! His alias will be 'Eyeshield 21' for his identity shall remain hidden! Except, would he be able to pull off something that big, especially with no athletic background?

I think this sports manga is much more entertaining that the ones I usually read. It's easier to understand game-wise because most of the time, other mangas would get into these long description about the playing moves (which I hate). The character isn't some kid who sucks terribly at a sport but is passionate about it. Or maybe vice versa. I find Sena a bit more interesting and how he keeps his real self a secret. Though I have a feeling there would a lot of plotlines where they would go, "Our teamwork helped pull off a great game!" or "You can make your dream come true!" in the later novels. Because how many novels can you write for just games??

post signature

No comments: