Notice for Review Requests

I receive review requests weekly. However, my personal schedule is hectic and I no longer review actively. (I also manage another blog called The Toronto Cafe and Food Blog). I do read every request sent but I apologize in advance that I do not reply to them all.

If I do take on a request, I will forewarn that it may take some time before I can review it. I am now looking to review adult fiction and self-help books instead of young adult fiction because I have grown out of it. If you are to request a review for either adult fiction or self-help, I will more likely to give it a shot.

In the meantime, Stop, Drop, and Read! serves as an archive book review blog. When I have the time, I may post a review. Thank you for understanding.

Saturday, August 23, 2008

Fairest by Gail Carson Levine

Title: Fairest
Author: Gail Carson Levine
Age Group: Tweens
# of Pages: 326
My Rating: 4/5

The very first thing that drew my attention to this book for making me wanting to read it was the cover. I simply adore this cover because of the unique medieval concept and the model at the front. The summary about the story also captured me. After reading it, it was satisfying though I need hope for a better ending. Nonetheless it was enjoyable enough for any fantasy lover. More so recommended for girls of course. The characters were interesting though I don't really like the prince. He was just sorta there if you know what I mean.

Aza was abandoned in her adoptive parents inn about one month old. She is raised by her loving family that treated her like she was blood-related and love her dearly as much as she loves them back. Aza has one of the most beautiful singing voice that anyone could ever heard of. She is able to "illuse" (a term that she created), meaning that she can throw her voice where it seems like it came from a different location. Of course within reasons because she can not make her voice appear on the other side of the world. It is a fantastic thing to to have lovely singing because it is one of the most prized quality of Kingdom of Ayortha. There is one other quality that everyone takes into consideration when judging a person on this mystical land that Aza does not have, beauty. In fact, she is on the other end of the spectrum. She is downright hideous! People would be completely rude to her because of her appearance.

One faithful day, a cat-loving duchess came to the inn. She was going to go to the royal wedding of King Oscaro and the commoner from Kyrrian, Ivi. The Duchess companion caught a cold so she had no one else to take. She decided to take Aza so she would not show up to the castle alone.

While at the castle, the queen made Aza lady-in-waiting. The queen has a jealous personality and wants many things. When she found out about Aza's talent, she asks her for a risky request that puts many in danger, including Aza herself.

post signature

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved this book and the cover, too. I recommend it to anyone. It also has a great moral.

GirlwiththeBraids

Anonymous said...

if you love fairest so much can't you post the whole book so people could readd it online for free please

Anonymous said...

I love that book! I read it straight in 2 days!!!

Anonymous said...

I love that book! I read it straight in 2 days!!!